Sunday, September 4, 2011

What is the environment to me? The environment is not only my surroundings but consists and has to do with everything in my everyday life. Everything in some way has an impact on something else.
To make my point, I think about how I start my day. I wake up. I make coffee. Where did this coffee come from, and what did it take to make it? Well in order to make my coffee i needed electricity, water, and I needed coffee beans. The coffee beans are grown somewhere and are imported. Then there is the electricity needed to brew the coffee, so I think about what it takes to make the electricity to make the coffee maker work to brew the coffee.
My point being is that environment to me is the interconnectedness that everything ties together as. That no matter what you do and what it takes to make something that it in some way connects to everything else everything connects and relies on something else in order to exist and maintain. So in that sense, we must be mindful of that. The world to me is the environment, it is a carefully orchestrated connection of every component interacting on each other.
In a greater sense I feel that in order to maintain the environment that these things must be accounted for. An example to this is that in the post industrial revolution we have been unloading a tremendous amount of gasses into the atmosphere that are inevitably going to have an effect. How it seems this is going to happen is begging at the microscopic level: by entering the oceans and slowly raising the ph levels. This interconnectedness is going to be seen by effecting the small photo-planktons that then effect the superior trophic levels. Other animals that eat them and then are eaten themselves... and so forth, till it positions itself on the top of the food chain. There will also be a point where they can't exist. Then the current, balanced state of the food chain will be unable to sustain itself.
The environment is a very delicate, intricate working of organisms that have grown to effectively orchestrate life in these very specific systems. This is why I say that environment to me is everything, the interworking of all components working together to form what everything is as we know it, and that makes everything about what makes up the environment so important.

No comments:

Post a Comment