Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Am I Safe?

Last week I attended Riki Ott's lecture relating to our recent BP Oil Spill. Well after the lecture I met a doctor who practiced natural healing by touch and other forms of oriental medical practices such acupuncture and pulse reading(?). Well I told him about the time I was preparing shrimp caught by my relatives a few months after the oil spill. I had found a small brown glob in a shrimp that looks similar to the little specks of tar that was on my clothing when I went to Pensacola Beach this Summer and last Summer. We talked about how safe is it to eat the seafood and how we don't know if it will make us sick in the future. I then told him about my recent issues with my contacts. I had been wearing Air Optix Night and Day contacts, these contacts can be worn for thirty days straight without taking them out. They are pretty expensive costing $60 per box. Well since last Summer I haven't been able to keep them in my eyes longer than a day. I had wrote the contacts company and they sent me two new boxes and I still couldn't wear them. I had been wearing those brands for six years and I tried a different brand and the problem remained the same. My eyes felt like they are suffocated and will fall out if I don't take off my contacts. My eye doctor can't find the problem. And I have been wearing glasses for the past several months and some days my eyes feel irritated, but not as bad as when I put on my contacts.

Well the doctor I met at the lecture asked to examine my eyes right there in the Danna Center and he "suggested" that I am consuming something toxic and I may be "off-gassing." I am a little skeptical of his practice, but it made me wonder about all the toxins I may be exposed to. I live next to a chemical storage facility, I eat "fresh gulf seafood", my live-in boyfriend works as a contractor for chemical plants, and who knows what is in the air, water, and food that I consume. I am starting to feel like Carol White from the film Safe.

Tuyet

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Very interesting. We are always told the level of this or that toxin is OK, but what about the cumulative effects of these toxins together?
    p.s. my contacts have been giving me hell for a couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this doctor was a little unbelievable, however, I do believe the toxicity of this planet is higher than ever. In biology, we learned that the higher up on a food chain you are, the more toxins you accumulate. If there are toxins in the grass, those toxins remain in the insect or herbivore that eats the grass. Toxins in the water and in the air are in everything. Think about the oil in the gulf. Carnivores, like humans, tend to be larger and live longer than many herbivores, and they are consuming large amounts of toxic meat over their entire lives. In the wild, species with long life histories, especially meat eaters, accumulate these toxins more than any other. So, we are at risk, just like the bald eagle, just like the mountain lion, etc. This is where I suggest that everyone eat more vegetarian meals. The lower down on the food chain you eat, the slower the accumulation of toxins in your body. The FDA has proven time and again that even the foods we grow and raise ourselves are exposed to dangerous chemicals and pathogens. The measures we have taken to grow and raise healthy foods has taken a toll on once natural creatures. Antibiotics and hormones are now part of the risk, despite their original purpose: to protect our bodies from consuming toxic food. So, I wonder, are we safe from ourselves?

    ReplyDelete