Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Gym Environment

Over the past few months I have been going to the gym three times a week and working out with a personal trainer in attempts to get out of my freshman 15, which is going into its third year. I never really noticed the gym’s environment until Professor Bell brought it to my attention. Unlike the student rec plex, Simply Fit is packed with MILFS (I will assume no one needs that explained). First lets start with the gym’s aesthetics. Every wall is covered with mirrors except for the windows in front. You are left with no choice but to see yourself for the duration of time you spend there. Then there are TVs suspended from the ceilings in front of countless machines. Now lets move on to the people. The majority of women are in their mid thirties to forties, and they all look ten times more “fit” than the twenty something’s I see on campus (including myself & my friends). They are all clad in their Nike tanks, which are clearly matched to their shoes. Then there is me, 21yrs old and in an oversized t-shirt and baseball cap, huffing and puffing next to the mom that is running her ass off on the treadmill making it look effortless. What is it with this age demographic? Do these women only get to interact with other people (besides their children) at the gym? Are they trying to prevent their husbands from cheating on them (funny thing is they end up cheating on their husbands with the trainer)? I look forward to reporting back on my findings.

1 comment:

  1. Obviously this environment is partially responding to another environment.

    ReplyDelete