Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Ultimate Environmentalist: Dersu Uzala

Dersu is one of the best examples of an Ecological Thinker, of having interconnectedness, and co-existing with nature (its beautiful and its ugly side). I think that makes him the ultimate environmentalist. All environmentalists want to be “one with nature,” but Dersu shows us in the film that in order to be one with nature, you have to let nature do its own thing. He sees animals on the same level as himself; he said in the film that you shouldn’t kill animals unless it’s extremely necessary. He even talked to the animals when they were stepping in harm’s way (the soldiers).
Now people who consider Dersu crazy, “he’s talking to animals? Forreal?” but maybe that’s the problem now in days that people find coexisting with animals and plants as weird. I know that some people don’t but majority do. I know time has changed and people should evolve and progress, but in the sense of nature we (people) seemed to have made matters worse. {Please let me know if I’m not making any sense.}
I also wanted to add that Dersu’s way of living in the woods was more “being one with nature” than Chris from Into the Wild.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if his utter inability to function in the city makes him not an ecological thinker. Isn't the city part of the mess?

    ReplyDelete