Saturday, October 8, 2011

New Biogas Bike: Genius or Repulsive?


http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/10/poop-powered-toilet-bike-toto-japan.php


Is Japanese toilet company TOTO's new toilet-bike (named NEO) that's powered entirely by human feces genius or repulsive? I'd say both. According to the website, "The bike runs on biogas converted from feces that is harvested directly from the driver." I must admit that it sounds pretty genius and environmentally responsible. I don't know much about sewerage but I can assume that all toilets lead to somewhere, and I'm sure life isn't prospering in those areas. It is natural and as long as there is life on this planet we'll never be short of poop. If poop-powered transportation becomes successful, would people start farming animals for their poop? That could become a horrible situation fast. I also doubt that people would respect the idea that it should be THEIR OWN waste that fuels their bikes. What if you run out of gas? I imagine people would just start stealing waste from public bathrooms, or maybe people will start preserving their poop for long trips? To be honest, I really didn't mean to get this far into thought about the toilet-bike and clearly I'm torn over what to think about it. Japan is a very confusing country to me. They have invented a toilet on wheels that harvests poop and converts it into biogas, yet they allow and possibly command the daily mass killings of dolphins even though the meat is toxic? It's almost seems as if they invented NEO for reasons other than protecting the environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment