Thursday, November 17, 2011

Coyotes are in the news again!

Well the coyotes are in the news again. This time Lakeview residents caught them on video. At first I was thinking, "that's news?" I am from Buras, LA where there are coyotes and many other wildlife species. However I now live on the Westbank right across the river from The Fly. I see coyotes on the levee sometimes and one ran across my yard one day, but I never thought anything of it. I always thought of them as part of the environment. There are all kinds of animals living around us. The environment has changed dramatically, it comes down to evolution, adapt or die.

I asked Mike, an employee at the Uptown Shepherd Center for his thoughts on the coyotes in Lakeview. He replied that coyotes are extremely dangerous animals. He noted that there is too much "wild" in them. He went on to say that they can not be tamed. Mike's comments are similar to the news report. There is belief that nature should be conquered by man, that humans should have control of their environment. I hope that authorities will not wipe out the coyote population, since it is such a "problem." The coyotes are part of the mesh, I believe they are needed to keep other populations like rabbits in check

http://www.wwltv.com/news/Lakeview-residents-says-he-spotted-coyote-in-neighborhood-133856503.html

1 comment:

  1. Why don't we ever look at the ways that we could be the problem. The hierarchy is firmly in place.

    ReplyDelete