Saturday, November 26, 2011

NOLA Green Roots

NOLA Green Roots has been a fascinating case study for this class, and one of the most effective service learning experiences I’ve had thus far. Based on observations about management I have to say I’m somewhat surprised that the organization has grown so fast and been so successful, I have to credit this to the quality of the idea that it’s based upon and the dedication of the people who believe in it. As a relatively new non-profit (begun in 2008) they are still working out some kinks with organizing their members and clearly defining their mission and how to pursue it. I think that the popularity of the project may have overwhelmed them at first but now with the help of dedicated new staff and utilization of volunteers, I have high hopes that they might actually succeed. Already their project has grown from one garden to three and they are constantly expanding.

The most recent expansion resulted in a lot being set up for large scale composting to accommodate pre-consumer waste gathered from the Loyola University Orleans Room. I think this will be a definitive relationship for NOLA Green Roots and has already gained them publicity and motivated change within the organization to accommodate the expansion. The members of NOLA Green Roots take a very active role in its running and contribute a lot of time and labor to ensure that the gardens grow.

After completing my service I decided to become a member for the month of November. This means that I paid $35 for the month and I work at least an hour a week in the garden. For this I receive a basket of vegetables every two weeks. Last week I received my first basket and have been drowning in veggies ever since. Some of them were wholly unfamiliar to me including mustard greens and some sort of small orange citrus that I still can’t identify. I’ve really enjoyed the challenge of trying to work around what’s in my basket and learning to prepare new fresh local foods. Although it looks like I may not be able to take on the challenge and eat through my basket, I think it’s important that the opportunity to try has been afforded to this city. In a city so immersed in food culture it’s great to be able to follow the food process from the roots (forgive the pun).

1 comment:

  1. I think most of us don't know what to do with fruits and vegetables. If it's not processed for us--we're lost. (I am!)

    ReplyDelete