Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Current State of Hip Hop (Hip Hop's Environment)

To replace my service learning requirement I chose to speak on Hip Hop, mainly because I have such an immense passion for the musical genre. First off, this particular blog post is NOT discussing the environment that of which Hip Hop stems from, but instead how Hip Hop is staying relevant on the topic of environment. This environment includes political environment, social environment, and living environment. Now, I won't necessarily cover all of these in one blog post, so how about I speak on the social environment of Hip Hop.

Two of my favorite current rappers whose topics match that of social environment include Lupe Fiasco and Macklemore. Lupe Fiasco's first two albums Lupe Fiasco's Food & Liqour and Lupe Fiasco's The Cool, are essential for not only hip-hop-heads, but also anyone who enjoys the analysis of the corruption of our youth. Fiasco's first album is a concept album pinpointing many of the negatives of society and the human race. The song "The Cool" tells the story of a dead gangster brought back to life, only to continue similar actions that led to his demise. The song "Hurt Me Soul" is a very personal look into Fiasco's life, as well as his original hatred for hip hop due to the commercialized degradation of women in the genre's lyrics. Fiasco's second album, entitled Lupe Fiasco's The Cool is another concept album that focuses on three characters representative of three evils in society. Michael Young History (My Cool Young History), AKA The Cool, is the same gangster that was brought back to life in the first album. The Cool represents the unhealthy and negative trends in society (i.e. buying a 9mm because your favorite rap artist talks about having one). The Game symbolizes the evils that accompany a life of crime, as heard on "Put You On Game," in which Fiasco plays the part of The Game. Speaking as The Game, Fiasco states that he is "the American Dream," as well as the "rape of Africa" and "the murderous regime." The last character is a beautiful cut-throat woman named The Streets. The Streets is symbolic of the greed for quick money and the backstabbing actions which criminals enact on one another. This universe created by Fiasco, stemming from his first two albums, exemplifies Hip Hop's role socially in the world today, as well as its effects on my generation.


Macklemore, the second rapper that I mentioned, also focuses his rapping towards social issues-- like his song "Otherside," which speaks on the illegal and lethal street drink known as "Lean" or "Purple Drink." Encompassing much more than cough syrup addiction, Macklemore also speaks on the dangers of cocaine and oxycontin. He tells the listener how he's seen "oxycontin take three lives," those being the lives of some of his dearest friends. He brings the point home by saying that "rappers underestimate the power and the effects that [they] have on [kids]." Hearing Macklemore state this allows the listener to grasp that rappers, as well as other musicians, have the responsibility of being positive role-models. Whether artists want said responsibility is irrelevant-- they automatically inherit that responsibility once they become famous, or even once the general public are able to gain access to their music.


Here's the video for "Otherside," By Macklemore:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvDQy53eldY


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you really think it's the responsibility of the artists to be role models for their kids? I think the artists just put out what's already become popular in order to make massive amounts of money, relatively easily.* I don't find anything intrinsically wrong with that; everyone wants to make a buck.

    Who would I blame though? I'm not really sure. I'd say parents, but that gets said so often it almost feels like it's a joke.

    I don't think art has ever, ever been about playing the "positive role model" until the glamorous rise of "the celebrity." (I'll date that at early- to mid-20th century when that started being a thing? I might be off.) Then all of a sudden artists are expected to be be people kids can look up to. Can you imagine kids looking up to Sylvia Plath? Or Walt Whitman? There'd have been a good many tortured souls running about.

    Anyway, my point is that I find fame to be more a by-product than an end-product in the artist's pursuit of a product. Fame might be thought of as an end-product for the producers or for the studio executives, in which case I guess we can blame them.

    *. I don't mean to say that rap is easy, I just think of someone like Lil' Wayne, who writes rather awful lyrics (in my opinion) and sits back raking in the dough, while there are other people (like me) busting their asses in a crap kitchen job 35 hours/week, an estimated 60 if we include school and homework into that figure, for whom buying groceries is a luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a good point Matt. I would never want artists to censor their work to please the public. And I totally agree that artists should not be patronized for their own art. In retrospection I should have taken away the "positive-role model" and replaced it simply with "role-model." The addition of the word "positive" has a restriction that I did not consider, however every artist IS a role-model. Every artist is a role-model, just like you and I are role-models to those younger than us.

    I believe that I was at first trying to look at the social environment of Hip Hop from an unbiased stand-point, but I got side-tracked when I started speaking on "Otherside" by Macklemore. His viewpoint in said song is that rappers (artists) do have a responsibility to be positive role-models in their craft. In the middle of explaining this, I accidentally let go of my unbiased standpoint and ended up latching onto Macklemores' biases.

    Thanks for your comment Matt. I salute you for your work ethic man! You absolutely have an understanding of struggle, and also how to deal with that struggle. And that is something that I truly respect.

    I hate that it seems you have a bad taste of Hip Hop, because Lil Wayne is really an awful depiction of TRUE Hip Hop. For Hip Hop, moreso than most genres, you really have to look beneath the surface to find the treasures. Here are some suggestions I have for you, along with their links:

    Gang Starr-- "Moment of Truth" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4riCUJ3l6Lk


    KRS-One-- "Palm & Fist" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvvDvGtMt9k

    This one is disturbing but worth a listen if you haven't heard it --

    Immortal Technique -- "Dance with the Devil" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qggxTtnKTMo


    2Pac -- "Keep Ya Head Up" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXwmDGJAB8


    K-Os -- "The Love Song" -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyRB00Xe5-E&ob=av2e


    This is a long song, but I promise this one is worth it--

    Jay Electronica -- "Eternal Sunshine (The Pledge) -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWc4DG1s53g

    ReplyDelete