Monday, November 14, 2011



Since the beginning of the semester I have been going when I can to the Uptown Shepherd’s Center. The Uptown Shepherd’s center is a senior activity center located on S. Carrolton. Usually in the time I spend there, I am listening to stories told by the elders or just chatting back and forth with them. There are a number of activities they spend doing throughout the day but so far all I have been able to join them for is singing and movies.

These men and women have not lost their talent in their latter years! A few play instruments such as bongos and the piano, others belt it out with all the energy they have.At first when I was beginning to attend the center I was worried that the people would be irritated by my attendance because they felt it was charity. But the people at the center are not forced to be there, they choose to be. At the end of the day they go home. For them this is a way to stay involved with the community and keep in touch with people their age. There are a few rooms available for them to rotate in and out of for different activities and lunch. The main sitting room is a comfy sunroom in which they are able to relax and enjoy everyone’s company. This experience has been a good opportunity to interact with a different generation of people that I do not usually get to connect with that often.


No comments:

Post a Comment