Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Truth


Listening to Herzog’s views on other documentaries today, I was a little confused about his ideas of truth. While he was discussing his ideas about what is true and what’s not, I couldn’t help but thinking back to a scene from Encounters at the End of the World, the scene where he is interviewing a scientist who studies penguins. In this scene, we hear Herzog asking the man some questions about penguin behavior like:  are there gay penguins?  Is this Herzog looking for the truth? It seems to me that he is digging, trying to create a truth that fits with the film; while we might not know the “truth” about penguins, it seems to me that pure scientific unbiased observations are at least more in touch with reality. They are simply what we have observed, they’re not just what we want to see

P.S found these on youtube Happy Holidays 
Tom

2 comments:

  1. these Herzog videos are brilliant. Thank you, Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Herzog asks those questions because he is trying to find something that isn't normally expressed. I mean gay penguins, I would never have asked about gay penguins. I think he wants us to explore the strangeness of the familiar--the strange stranger.

    ReplyDelete