Tuesday, November 8, 2011

NOLA Green Roots

NOLA Green Roots has been the perfect case study for this class since it combines a community’s desire to connect with the environment with human manipulation of nature to promote sustainability and conservation in an urban setting.
During my weekly shifts, I have had experiences in both the foreground and the background of this organization. Since the focus of NOLA Green Roots is to promote access to and knowledge about fresh grown produce through community gardens, many people think of it in terms of its lush green beds and well cared for garden space. I’ve been fortunate enough to get to work in the garden and learn a little about growth patterns, planting, harvesting, and compost. Yet I’ve also seen the complex system that really feeds those gardens.
Helping to digitize the member list made me realize not only how many people it takes to keep the gardens growing but also how many people can be fed by such a small plot of land. It also reassured me that there is an ever growing population, even here in New Orleans, who are concerned about the environment and who value fresh food, enough to get their hands dirty and work for it. However, this realization brought to light another issue: though there may be a large percentage of the population who would find this project appealing, finding them is not always easy. Researching outreach opportunities reminded me of just how essential networking and publicity are to a small relatively new non-profit like NOLA Green Roots. By choosing to work with this organization for my service learning, I was able to do just that: learn how to apply the skills I have learned in the classroom, to serve a cause and a project that I truly believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment