Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Cleaning up the Mesh

I'm chillin' and grillin' on location at TruBurger, and holy cow, do I have some rare material for you to flip through.  Ground yourself; and if you've got beef, I'm not all full of bull—just trying to cook up a final post that's done well.  (That's right, at Tru we serve your burger on a pun.) I'm finished, I promise.

So I'm trying to take an approach to this post that's relevant to the entire semester.  I was going to say something about how I thought doing this assignment on Tru Burger is a little bit harder than it would've been had I done a service learning project.  Yes, of course it was more convenient as far as my schedule; I'm already here 40 hours a week. But I didn't have the advantage of an outside opinion.  What would I say?  "At Tru Burger we serve burgers.  They are good. We are more friendly to the environment than McDonalds.  We are less friendly to the environment than slaughtering your own cow."  I think it's hard to analyze something that's so familiar, y'know?

And then I was reading through The Ecological Thought and remembered: duh! Week one, or whenever it was, we read what Morton had to say about the strangeness of familiarity:

As anyone who has a long-term partner can attest, the strangest person is the one you wake up with every morning.  Far from gradually erasing strangeness, intimacy heightens it.  The more we know them, the stranger they become.  Intimacy itself is strange.  As the passenger side-view mirror on your car reads, "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."  We ignore the mesh because we're so familiar with it.  Our familiarity forms the basis of the threatening intimacy that we too often push to the backs of our minds. (41)
So I tried taking a step back and becoming aware of the mesh, the momentum1 or disruption of which, didn't matter.  What can I say about the mesh as it pertains to Tru Burger?  Who are some frequent strange strangers?

So here it is: a brief object-oriented ontological criticism of Tru Burger.



Customers and cashiers, strange strangers 4 lyf.  What is it with how we put on a show when we take on either of these roles?  Cashiers put a smile on and talk differently.  I mean I guess I understand a cashier wanting to be nice.  Hello, tips.  But are customers really fooled by this illusion of kindness?  This high pitched, you're-obviously-tired-of-saying-it "HI WELCOME TO TRUBURGER WHAT CAN I GET FOR YOU TODAY?"  I swear, I don't think some of the customers I ring up are aware that I ever leave the cash register.  I'm a cashier.  That's my box.

But am I just as guilty when I gripe about a customer not tipping me?  I immediately label them as "jerk," but am I failing to see that he actually had one less dollar on him than he thought?  And when we cashiers make signs listing the ingredients in Tru Sauce because we're tired or reciting it every thirty seconds, aren't we limiting our interaction with our strange stranger customers?  What's next, we're tired of greeting the customers as they walk in, so we make a sign that says, "HI WELCOME TO TRUBURGER WHAT CAN I GET FOR YOU TODAY?" for us?  At that point we might as well turn the cash registers around and just let the customers punch in their own orders.




I'm deleting this section very, very soon, because if it gets around that I shared this with anyone, I'm so fired.  So read up.  Tru Burger had a mouse problem for a little while.  This room is where they lived, I think.  I know it's at least where they ate.  That green tower is a stack of bread racks, on which we keep bags of buns.  The mice eat the buns.

Don't worry, it's easy to spot a bag of buns that's been torn into, and we'd never serve a bun that came from that bag.  This point is not about food safety, though, it's about Tru Burger's solution to "the mouse question": traps.  Some other employees and I, upon hearing about the infestation and proposed solution, suggested the traps be of the no-kill variety.  So Tru Burger did not get the Tom and Jerry style traps.  Instead it got these:


You're supposed to put peanut butter or some other thing that takes forever to go bad in the center of these pads.  The mouse will obviously go for the food, and gets stuck to the point of immobility.  (Sounds a little like entrapment to me.)  There's no way any mouse is going to get free unless someone peels the mouse away from the pad, potentially tearing off its skin or limbs.  I guess we got what we asked for: it's not the traps that kill the mice, it's the starvation or the removal from the traps.2 I know, you're thinking, "Those poor, cute little mice," right? Wrong! We don't call them cute, remember? I just think it's a little screwy to sentence something to certain death all because it just wants a bite to eat! What if I trapped and starved every neighbor of mine who picked from my orange tree? I don't have an orange tree, but what if?  There is such a thing as a truly no-kill mouse trap.  




Finally, let's talk beef.  We go through so much beef at Tru Burger.  We cut, grind, and patty at least 100lbs total of short rib, chuck, and brisket each day.  I know some of you may find that disagreeable, but that's the part I'm cool with.  As long as the meat is feeding someone, it's okay that the cow died.3 What's not okay is the amount of meat that gets thrown away when the prep cooks mess up on a cut, or when a line cook (including me) messes up an order and must remake it, or when a customer doesn't understand the point of fresh ground beef and sends a burger back because it's pink in the middle.4

Throwing away perfectly good food, or food that should have been perfectly good, is counterintuitive even if we completely disregard the ecological thought—it's not like we didn't pay for that meat that was just thrown away.  This kind of disrespect just isn't compatible with efforts towards a more democratic world.  We cannot treat our strange strangers like renewable resources.  Hell, can we even treat renewable resources like renewable resources?  I guess not; just because we have a bunch of something doesn't mean we can or should get rid of more of it.



1. I was gonna say "stability" but that's not really a characteristic of the mesh. "The mesh isn't static." (Morton 30)
2. I did successfully rescue a single mouse from one of these traps.  I endured two bites through that experience, and I no longer actively seek opportunities to play superhero.
3. See my little beef boo-boo.
4. I didn't understand this until I worked here.  We cook our burgers medium unless a customer specifies that he or she would like it at a different temperature.  The reason you can't get your McDonalds burgers rare (or anything but well done) is because yuck, that meat (if it's even meat) is so old.  Beef is not really meant to be eaten well; it loses a lot of the nutritional value and pretty much all of the flavor.  The whole draw of in-house, fresh-ground beef is the ability to get it at lighter temperature than well.  Basically, ordering a well done burger at Tru Burger is like asking for Kraft singles at St. James Cheese Company.  Okay, maybe it's not that bad but it's heading in the same direction.

1 comment: