Friday, December 9, 2011

Uptown Shepherd Center Final Post

This is the front entrance of the Uptown Shepherd Center. It is sort of hidden, back from the street, and surrounded with bushes on each side and in the front. Mr. Freddie is the only person that sits outside. Occasionally one or two other people would go outside for a cigarette break and everyone else remains inside. I think it would be a good idea for the center to grow a few fruit trees in the front and backyard . It may encourage seniors to go outside sometimes. The tree would be low maintenance and seniors can enjoy fresh fruit as a snack or dessert at lunch time.The seniors love fresh fruit. Twice I brought a Pummelo for lunch that my father grew. A Pummelo is a large grapefruit-like citrus. It is the size of a cantaloupe, and it is less bitter than a grapefruit. The seniors loved it and one lady wanted to buy some, but we did not have any more.

Here is the main lobby. The front and back side has large windows that let in a lot of sunlight. As I mentioned before blinds were recently added to the back windows because the sun glared down through those windows making it pretty hot. The seniors spend a lot of time sitting safely in the lobby observing the outside environment.



This is the computer class. Mr. John on the left and Mrs. Hilda on the right. Mr. John drives the van at the center, and I believe Mrs. Hilda is the volunteer instructor. There are PCs and Macs. The computers are donated (used), I believe from the community. Seniors have access to the computers every Thursday from 11am to 12pm. There is usually one senior that comes in every Thursday to type up a letter and that is it. This room is also the library and the language classroom. I believe seniors may learn either French or Spanish, however I am not too sure since I've never served during that time.
This is the lunch room and the seniors are ready to be served. This particular day an AARP club came for a day of service to the community. There were more volunteers than there were seniors. As you can see, the seniors are served lunches in disposable foil trays from Meals on Wheels. Each senior gets a place setting: a napkin, milk, and disposable utensils. Most seniors take home packaged food that they do not eat, or they give it to certain people who usually like to collect extras. It can be milk, juice, cookies, bread, butter, pudding, salt, pepper, or mayonnaise. Some seniors don't or can't finish their entree. I personally think that it is a small portion of food, but sometimes I have to dump an untouched looking plate. There is one senior who is known for wasting his entree to get to his dessert.

The seniors seem to enjoy having student volunteers in their environment. Perhaps it is our youth that they enjoy having around. Many of them are grandparents and great grandparents and enjoy talking about their grand children. I've talked to the staff about making one last visit before Christmas, since I've ended my service last week and did not get to inform some seniors. I will be taking my almost two year old son there for a short visit and I wonder if it will be alright if I take him to class with me Thursday. He loves going to new environments, especially when there are a lot of new faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment