Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Gym Environment 3 - Simply Fit

The pictures in this final post are from Simply Fit’s facebook page. One issue that I have briefly touched on is the sexual tension/distraction in the gym environment. The majority of women that work out the same time I do are probably in their mid thirties to sixties, so that would mean I am the youngest person in the gym. They are all very attractive and impressively fit for their age. Some of these women are friends’ moms and simply familiar faces around New Orleans. Dressed head to toe in lululemon (overpriced workout clothes), these women partake in rather suggestive stretches with their trainers. If I ever witness my mother spread eagle on the gym floor I would be mortified. Everyone knows that New Orleans is painfully small, meaning that people talk…a lot, and some of the behavior that takes place at the gym does nothing to dispel these rumors.
Lets take a look at some of the contributing factors for sexual tension in the gym environment: tight fitting clothing, sweaty bodies, compromising stretching positions, moaning/groaning, and last but not least, the after workout stretch. Some days I cant help but think, “Jesus, what would their husbands think?” The trainers themselves (not all of them) appear to be enjoying it even though they are aware of the on looking eyes. Then you have the occasional MILK who feels the need to roll up her tank top, abs exposed, moaning and groaning as she watches herself in the mirror lift weights. Trying not to judge too quickly, lets run through some reasons on why these women behave this way. Have their husband’s been cheating? Is the gym the only time that they have the attention rather than their kids or spouse? Do their personalities suck, so they are forced to lead with their ass?
This alternative to service learning experiment has made me take a closer look at an environment that has become a part of my weekly routine. My relationships with these people are pretty surface level and at face value everyone has been very cordial and sweet. I wasn’t expecting to obtain any real truth by merely observing, but I have gained a better understanding of my surroundings and those I share it with. I can only hope that after children, I look half as good as some of those ladies do.
Above: Gotta love Mr. Palmer working on his fitness!

No comments:

Post a Comment