Thursday, December 8, 2011

How it feels to be a Tutor

I just got back from tutoring at Lusher about an hour ago. Today was a different day because normally we go to the library but because there is a book fair, all the tutors and students went upstairs to a teacher's classroom. I was annoyed when I first showed up, for the classroom was too small and crowded for everyone to work in. I am claustrophobic so I get REALLY uncomfortable if I am in a small space with a lot of people. I didn't really want to be there anyway, and for the first fifteen minutes I didn't have a kid to tutor so I just did crosswords on my nook.
Ten minutes later my supervisor introduces me to a kid named Tuan, who was preparing for the ACT. Tuan's a really smart kid whose math and science scores on the test where in the thirties but his English and reading were really low. I helped him with basic grammar exercises; teaching him more about comma usage, etc. He was slowly getting it but still had a lot to learn. He told me his dream was to go to college but his English skills are holding him back from getting accepted and receiving scholarships. He really wants to go to Auburn University and when I told him that I almost went there he got so excited and wanted to know more about the university. When we went back to work he did exercises from a book and the more we did the more he got it. Though he's in high school, he still didn't know the difference between independent and dependent clauses and even had issues locating relative pronouns. He got so excited whenever he got something right and when we practiced four problems from a practice ACT he got them all correct without my help! He was thrilled as he said he never got 4 correct in a row before. Just as we finished it was closing time at the lab. He thanked me, telling me how more confident he is getting with his English. Since tutoring in August I usually helped students edit essays, and for the first time I feel like I actually truly helped someone. I wasn't in the mood to tutor today but I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment