Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Gym Environment #2

Last week I discussed my project on the environment of the gym with my trainer Frank. Usually our discussions consist of weekend plans and sports. Having Frank’s perspective (personal trainer at the gym all day every day) really allowed me to see things from a different angle. He personally believes that most gym environments interfere with getting a good workout because of five contributing factors: temperature, noise, amount of people, socializing, and sexual tension. The elements that actually help to improve workout efficiency almost seem to be deliberately absent. Most people think that exercise is better when done in a social environment. People are more willing to do recreational exercise in large groups, but when it comes to the truly productive exercise, it is hard and best-done one on one. Personally when my trainer is kicking my ass, it is very distracting to have five MILFS around you making it look effortless. It’s difficult to concentrate on your workout when Brittany Brees is next to you on the treadmill and you’re trying not to hyperventilate. When there are onlookers, most people will subconsciously avoid the effort that might lead to embarrassment. Reaching that particular level when we are working out can leave some feeling very vulnerable in front of others and yourself because mirrors surround you. I always preferred listening to music while I exercised because it helps the time pass and can help to motivate me. Well of course Frank had to burst this bubble for me. The rhythm and beat of music are designed to make us move in accordance with that rhythm and beat, which doesn’t always necessarily work with the rounds you are doing and the exercises that they consist of. It is very unlikely that the beat of a particular song will appropriately match the pace of the workout. Frank loves to remind me, that even if the music does match, the important thing to remember is smooth, continuous movement. The music’s beat tends to encourage segmented movement. Luckily Frank and I mutually agree on the issue of the ever-present mirrors. He believes that they break our concentration by pulling “visual stimulus” into our field of vision. It’s not quite the same reason that I dislike the mirrors, but it makes sense. Rather than focusing on lifting the weights, my attention will be brought to the old man in his tight shorts and workout vest. I am currently working on obtaining some “appropriate” gym media to post by Friday. I don’t think that the gym dwellers would appreciate me snapping photos, so hopefully I can find an equally entertaining substitute.

1 comment:

  1. Some very interesting points--I always thought you needed mirrors--hell, why else are they everywhere. Put Frank in charge!

    ReplyDelete