Thursday, December 1, 2011

Strange Stranger at Service Learning

At one of my service learning days at the Edible Schoolyard, I was cleaning up the green bean path. There were some dead vines that needed to be cleared in order to make room for the new, live vines. As I was working, I noticed a green bean that had been overtaken by little critters. The bean had gone from green to black with little black pods engulfing it. I assume they were egg sacs, for there were a layer of little baby spiders crawling around on top of the black pods. It was a strange stranger kind of moment. I saw this bean and these bugs participating in the circle of life. Consumption, predation, decomposition, growth, etc. It was kind of gruesome at first. But the closer I examined the scene, the more fascinated I became. It was a process I had never witness before on a bean I eat at least once a week. It also made me think about what Morton says about the “cuteness” of nature. This little bean is a crisp, delicious little green string that is fun and easy to pop in your mouth and enjoy. However, this bean in particular was being taken over by alien creatures. At first I was a little grossed out, but then I thought it was rather beautiful to see dependence and life being transferred in such a direct fashion. Life and death at its finest.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that these little creatures are the "aliens" in this scenario when you were the giant appearing out of nowhere and clearing away large portions of the plant structure which was initially manipulated by humans into growing there. It seems to me that the bugs were trying to adapt and make the best of the new world order and you were the interrupting alien.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knowist of thy aliens you speak of. They are spoken of in lore. I once battled a trove of them for a months time defending my tomatoes!It twas an onslaught. none survived...

    ReplyDelete