Monday, December 19, 2011

Walmart hates the environment

I would like to start by saying that I genuinely hate Walmart. I accompanied my friend there the other day and I was absolutely disturbed by what I witnessed. I always make a conscious effort to not use any sort of bags when I go to the store, especially plastic bags. My friend bought three things. The clueless woman at the cash register double bagged each item, separately, in plastic bags. SIX plastic bags for THREE items!? Why do people abuse plastic and act as if it's not valuable? The amount of pollution we create with our excessive use of plastic bags is catastrophic. I almost made a scene so my friend decided to put a few of the bags back. I started thinking about how if this lady gave my friend six bags for three things, and considering the amount of people shop at a Walmart per day, and considering the amount of Walmarts there are in the world, Walmart must go through MILLIONS of plastic bags each week, or maybe even each day. For no reason!! Why don't they even offer paper bags? It's truly disgusting. Someone should do a research project on the amount of plastic bags a Walmart goes through in one day.
I was venting to my english friend about this and he said that in England lots of stores charge people 10 cents per bag. Because of this, his family has the good habit of bringing reusable bags to shop - not necessarily because they are trying to protect the environment, but because they find it a waste of money to take bags from stores. I think that this is exactly what America needs. It's clear that a majority of people aren't interested in protecting the environment, or at least changing their convenient habits to protect it, but people are definitely interested in saving money. If we charged people for each bag used, then people would definitely make a more conscious effort to bring their own bags. Regardless of intentions, one bag less is one bag less.

1 comment:

  1. This is America; we're free to ruin the environment! You don't want more rules and regulations like Europe, do you?

    ReplyDelete