Monday, December 5, 2011

Dogs who look like people

Remember in 101 Dalmatians when we see all the dogs walking by with their owners, and the dogs and owners have striking similarities in terms of looks? Well, I experienced this in real life over the weekend. I was in Audubon watching the ducks fight (I highly recommend this--it's pretty funny) and I noticed a man and his dog walking near me. He was a pretty good looking guy with a really beautiful golden retriever. They were both walking with good posture and exhibited suaveness, if you will. This didn't really phase me as a dog resembling its owner, but then I saw a really ugly English Bulldog whose face was smushed and he was waddling around on his leash. Low and behold, his owner was a short fat old guy who also waddled. Am I crazy? Or do people actually acquire dogs that look and act like them? Perhaps Walt Disney wasn't wrong after all. 

P.S. I have a Yorkie and I really hope I don't resemble her...much too yippy I'd say. 

4 comments:

  1. I took a personality test once... it said I would be a yorkie if i was a dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that frequently owners look and actually acquire the same attitudes as their dogs! I have a friend from england who has an english bulldog and they're both very reserved and the dog always looks bored and like he's coldly judging you just like my friend (he's really not though I think it's an english thing). I also always see this one asian woman walking her chow chow and they look a lot alike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they look similar and have similar attitudes because they share the same environment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, don't you think the pet acquires the personality of their owners instead of the other way around? I have met some really neurotic people who have really neurotic pets.

    Maybe they looks similarly because we are attracted to animals with alike styles. Like with people for example, don't we surround ourselves with a group that dresses, acts, and thinks in a similar fashion. Are we judging our pets like we judge our friends?

    ReplyDelete